How to Get a Divorce

divorce decreeIf you have lived in the state of Florida for at least six months, you are within your rights to file for divorce even if your spouse doesn’t agree. If you believe that it’s not possible to repair the marriage or your spouse has been determined to be legally incompetent, you will file for Dissolution of Marriage (the legal term for Divorce) at the Circuit Court within the county in which you live.

The Florida Supreme Court made it possible for residents to represent themselves when getting a divorce. Usually, the county court’s websites contain the necessary documents for this action and instructions for properly completing these papers.  However, you may wish to consider hiring a divorce attorney if there are complex issues or child custody to consider. read more