Experienced Child Custody Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL

West Palm Beach Parental Responsibility/Child Custody Lawyer that Understand the Laws and Your Rights

Child Custody, also known as Parental Responsibility, is known to be one of the most emotional and contentious types of practice areas that is a part of family law. When spouses divorce and children are involved, it is not just the fracturing of a family that occurs, but also potential repercussions that can affect children for years to come, is an issue that causes great concern. In some instances, parents who are angry and distressed as a result of divorce proceedings, may find it difficult to think about what is in the best interest of their children. That is why it is so important for them to hire an experienced West Palm Beach child custody attorney. He or she can then offer knowledgeable and dedicated representation.

Common Types of Parental Responsibility (Child Custody) in Florida Explained

You may have a general idea of what parental responsibility (child custody) entails, but the truth is that there is more than one type of custody that a court can grant one or both parents:

Sole Parental Responsibility (Sole Custody)

This type of parental responsibility/child custody is awarded to a parent or a guardian if the other parent is deemed unfit to raise the child. The parent who is awarded sole parental responsibility makes all decisions involving the child. In some cases, the family court will award this type of parental responsibility in a way that gives the other parent the opportunity to take part in the child’s life, once they have been reinstated as fit to raise their child.

Shared Parental Responsibility (Joint Custody)

Shared parental responsibility is awarded to both parents and is on par with the terms of joint custody. The court usually awards this custody to both parents who demonstrate that they are fit to raise the child, and is in the child’s best interest. This type of child custody can be awarded even if the two parents have never married. Sometimes the Court designates one parent as the ultimate decision-maker on healthcare and education, with all other areas being shared.

Can a Mother Keep the Child Away From the Father in Florida?

Even though a mother in Florida instantly has parental rights to their child at birth, fathers are given custody and visitation rights, counting on a paternity test. Custody laws in Florida for unmarried parents state that both parents share equal legal custody right.

Dealing with Child Custody Issues

The laws vary from state to state, so it is important to talk with a qualified, experienced divorce lawyer when dealing with types of child custody issues. We also have a list of Florida Child Custody Guidelines on our website.

No matter what type of custody arrangement you are involved in, you should work with your Florida family lawyer and your spouse to create a co-parenting plan that details how you will arrive at a consensus when it comes to making major decisions, including health care, education, upbringing methods, religion and the specific days your child will spend time with the other parent. This can help prevent conflicts from arising in the future, especially if your ex-spouse’s domestic situation changes, such as through a remarriage. However, in some instances, it may be necessary to file an emergency motion to modify child custody in which case you really do need an attorney. 

How Florida Courts Determine Custody (and Modifications Later)

As in most states, family law judges in Florida make all of their child custody determinations based on what will most benefit a child or children in a divorce. Having experienced Child Custody lawyer West Palm Beach will help you understand your rights. But judges must also take into consideration a number of factors, such as:

  • How parental responsibilities will be allocated, and whether third parties, such as grandparents, uncles or aunts will play a large role in the child’s upbringing.
  • The parents’ ability to place their child’s welfare ahead of their own desires.
  • The likelihood that both parents will make an effort to adhere to agreements regarding shared custody, and the likelihood that they will be open to changes in the agreement.
  • How long a child has lived in his/her current situation, and if that situation is beneficial to their well-being.
  • The geographic proximity of each parent’s residence, which is a big factor in joint physical custody decisions. You may also have to discuss valid reasons to move a child out of state.
  • The preference of the child, which plays a bigger role if the child is old enough to make intelligent decisions about which parent they would rather live with.
  • Any issues such as domestic violence or child abuse that would demonstrate that one parent is not fit to be awarded custody.
  • The extent to which each parent has protected their child from learning the details of the pending divorce and custody issues.
  • The development stage of each child and the extent to which each parent is equipped to provide for future developmental needs.
  • Evidence confirming how effectively each parent communicates with the other parent regarding issues and activities of the child.

The list of factors is why it is so important for you to secure the services of a Florida family law attorney, because it is an attorney’s responsibility to ensure that those factors are highlighted to create the best scenario for a custody decision that is favorable to you.

The Rights of Grandparents/Relatives in Child Custody

An increasing number of children are living with their grandparents and other relatives throughout the country, and the courts have made provisions for these individuals who act as caregivers to petition for custody.

In Florida, the rights of grandparents and other relatives to gain custody of the children is determined by whether the child is non-dependent or dependent.

A non-dependent child does not fall under the authority of the Department of Children and Families, whereas a dependent child is supervised by a caseworker at this agency.

The four most common child custody options for grandparents and relatives of non-dependent children are:

  • Physical Custody – the child lives with the grandparents or relatives, but a parent can take them away at any time, since there is no legal custody granted under this option. This usually occurs when grandparents or other relatives and parents enter into an agreement about the child’s living arrangement.
  • Temporary Custody – awards legal custody to grandparents or other relatives for a period of time, and a judge determines the kinds of decisions they can make on behalf of their grandchild.
  • Guardianship – awards legal custody to grandparents or other relatives until the child turns 18, or a family court orders a change. Parents of the child who wish to change this type of custody must obtain a court order.
  • Adoption – awards permanent custody to grandparents or other relatives under the condition that parents have renounced their parental rights, or a court has revoked those rights.

The four most common child custody options for grandparents and relatives of dependent children are:

  • Court-Ordered Placement – places children under the care of their grandparents or other relatives for a temporary period of time with supervision by the Department of Children and Families. This is typically awarded when parents are unable to care for a child for a specific period of time.
  • Temporary Custody – awards grandparents or other relatives temporary legal custody, which means they can make major decisions for the child with support and supervision from the Department of Children and Families.
  • Long-Term Custody – awards grandparents or other relatives legal custody after six months of temporary custody. This often occurs after parents have been deemed incapable of caring for the child and have had their rights taken away by the court. However, if the parents of the child change their way of life, they can petition the court to regain custody.
  • Adoption – awards permanent custody to grandparents or other relatives under the condition that parents have renounced their parental rights, or a court has revoked those rights.

Seek Experienced Child Custody Attorney West Palm Beach

If you are going through a child custody situation, and you want the help of experienced West Palm Beach child custody attorney, please call the law office of Eric C. Cheshire, P.A.  at (561) 677-8090 for a personal legal consultation with Mr. Cheshire. We have dealt with many types of child custody cases. Furthermore, we have the top resources necessary to help you obtain the best arrangement possible for everyone. We can help you decide what to do and what not do to in a child custody battle. With an office located in West Palm Beach, our law firm can serve clients in West Palm Beach and surrounding cities such as Palm Beach Gardens, Royal Palm Beach, Green Acres, and Wellington.

What Our Clients Have to Say

  • “He is a wonderful lawyer and wonderful person, I always felt cared for and knew he never had anything but my best interest at heart!”

    - A. Presnell
  • A true advocate. “Eric was effective in and out of court with the Judge, the opposing counsel, and me.” Frank
  • Our experience was excellent! “The process didn’t take long, and ended in the awesome success of the legal adoption of our daughter!” Former Client
  • Wisely advised me! “We ended with great results! I have been so impressed, through this whole process, of Eric’s knowledge and expertise and high standards.” Former Client
  • Eric made my dreams come true! “Adopting my child was the most important decision of my life and Eric Cheshire was very instrumental in making this happen.” Former Client

Get Started Today

Family law issues such as divorce, child custody, and alimony are complex and difficult to navigate without the help of an experienced family law attorney. Contact us today for a personal consultation with attorney Eric C. Cheshire.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy