Can I get a legal separation?

Yes. It is recommended that a spouse have an attorney prepare what is commonly referred to as a separation agreement or a marital settlement agreement. Once signed, by both spouses, this agreement can be used in a future divorce proceeding to resolve many, if not all issues between a couple. It is never recommended to sign such an agreement without first consulting with your own attorney.