What if my marriage or relationship involves domestic violence?

Always involve law enforcement if your spouse is violent. You may be able to obtain an injunction (restraining order) against your spouse or partner by going to the clerk’s office of the nearest courthouse and fill out a petition. A Judge will then immediately review your petition and sign an order, keeping your violent partner away from you until a formal hearing can be held, which is usually two or more weeks later. You should hire an attorney to represent you at that hearing.